Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The House That Jack Built by Jesca Hoop

Released:  June 26, 2012
Rating:  70.00
Genre:  Singer/Songwriter

I've read comparisons of her songwriting  to Simon and Garfunkel; of the related artists on Spotify, the only one I recognize is My Brightest Diamond (sort of an operatic chamber-pop); and she's considered a contemporary of the likes of Devandra Banhart (the king of Freak-Folk).  When first contemplating her sound I was having a hard time characterizing it and, frankly, I didn't see the comparisons being made by the professionals.  However, the more I listen to it, I realize that if you could actually put those elements into a blender, you really would get Jesca Hoop.

She was actually discovered by a musical hero of mine: Tom Waits.  She was the nanny to his family for five years.

This is her third album (my first).  I really like a lot about this and would suggest you listen to: 
  • The opener Born To.  A great folk pop song.  This is the hyperlink to the official video.
  • The beautiful, melancholy Deeper Devastation.  This is a live recording, but it's very clean.
This wraps up the June releases for me. I picked up 6 new CDSs and, although they included Metric and Bobby Womack, both excellent records, the rest of the June releases were really good, but not great.  I picked up 7 albums in June and they are somewhat more varied: from Serj Tankian's hard-rock to Frank Ocean's R&B, inspired by Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye.

Happy listening and, please, let me know what you're listening to these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment