Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Words And Music By Saint Etienne (by Saint Etienne)

Released:  May 29, 2012
Rating:  75.38
Genre:  BritPop

I was once told this is my genre.  I don't know that's true, but there's no denying I find a happy place here.  Clearly connected to the 60's, with influences from 70's disco, 80's dance and 90's indie, this is great listening-music.  The slightly breathy, female lead vocal handles influences from early girl groups to disco queens to Madonna and Gwen Stefani.

This is an intro for me, though the band has existed for 20 years and their origins date back to the two founding members making mix tapes as teenagers in the early 80s.  This is their 10th album, but their first in nearly seven years.

This was a tough disc to come by.  It's still not been released i9n the US and since I couldn't find any news that it was coming, I ordered it as an import.  I paid too much, but damn, it's a great album.
  • The half narrated/half sung Over The Border, about the singers earliest memories of BritPop music is my favorite song on the album.  (The chorus actually reminds me of Al Stewart)
  • The Last Days of Disco has a bit of a No Doubt feel.
  • Popular makes me think of 90s era Madonna (at least the music.)
  • The official video (which means a brief advertisement) for Tonight is pure BritPop fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment