Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Neck of the Woods by Silversun Pickups

Released:  May 8, 2012Rating: 74.55
Genre:  Indie Dream Pop/Rock

The third, proper, full length studio album from the L.A. quartet, and their first since 2009.  This is the first time they've captured my attention, though not the first time I've listened to them.  It's a tremendous piece of work, though, oddly, in my opinion, the album. starts slow.  The second half is far more exciting, with my favorite being the eighth track, Pit.

The related artists list on spotify includes some of my all-time and recent favorites (e.g., Pearl Jam, The Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, The Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Modest Mouse and Metric). I'm not completely convinced of some of those relationships, but in any event, I highly recommend checking this out.  A good cross section (click the track titles to hear via youtube.com) includes:
  • The somewhat sinister Busy Bees
  • The cinematic, and somewhat harder rocking Mean Spirits (this vid is live on Letterman, please forgive the leading commercial.)
  • My favorite, the tightly wound The Pit (this is also live on Letterman, you shouldn't have to watch the commercial again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment