Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Algiers by Calexico

Released:  September 11, 2012
Rating:  75.00
Genre: International Americana

My only dilemma here is whether I love this album, or am completely blown away by it.  It's definitely leaping onto my 2012 Top 10 list, somewhere near the middle.  This is their seventh proper studio release (my second, after 2008's Carried to Dust).  

In the past, Calexico's inspiration has come from their exploration of Southwestern culture,  spaghetti Westerns, Portuguese fado, Afro-Peruvian music, and '50s and '60s jazz, country, and surf music.  On Algiers, they've added Zydeco and Cajun into the mix.  The music is warm, earthy and just a little dark.

My favorite song on the album is Sinner in the Sea, which reminds me a little of Al Stewart.  Maybe on Monday's country guitar and dark theme takes me back to New Riders of The Purple Sage.  I highly recommend checking out the entire album!




No comments:

Post a Comment