Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Strawberry by Wussy

Released: November 15, 2011
Rating: 75.00

I love this 4 piece band out of Cincinnati.  Jangly guitars, thrashy vocals and great hooks.  Just my cup of tea.  I didn't think the cumulative score based on songs (71) gave a fair picture of the overall album.  I loved 7 of the 11 tracks here and there was only one that I call filler.

There is something very Midwest about Wussy.  A little bit melancholy and a little bit "get over it and have some fun".  Give a listen to the slow burning: Asteroid (about getting dumped Way out/beyond the asteroid/that's where you took my heart and left it floating in a frozen void) or the rockin' Chicken.

Wussy has been around since 2001 and this is their 5th (or 6th, I can't quite figure it out from the web searches) proper album.  They were formed by Guitarist and vocalist Chuck Cleaver from alt-country band The Ass Ponys (nice name guys).  Of course, one of the alluring things for me is that almost no one else has ever heard of Wussy.  Just compare the link for Asteroids with 2121 views vs Tom Waits (another name that's not known to all) Satisfied with 714,369 views.

No comments:

Post a Comment