Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mature Themes By Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti

Released:  August 21, 2012
Rating:  72.00
Genre:  Neo-Psychedelia

AMG starts out their review of this album as follows: "To anyone familiar with his music, it's obvious that Ariel Pink is weird, but it bears repeating: Ariel Pink is really weird."  I have to agree.  But it's a really fun album.  Except for two songs which, for me as a matter of personal preference, are filler (Schnitzel Boogie and Nostradamus And Me), it would currently be in my top 10 for the year.

Considering it's only the second album from the Los Angeles band they get a lot of press.  At least 36 reviews from major media and arts rags!  However, it's Ariel Pink's ninth overall, though, I must, somewhat sheepishly, admit I'd never heard of them till now.

This album plays like a collection from several bands and almost all of it is terrific.  Baby is late 60's soul; If Only In My Dreams reminds me of the birds crossed with Devandra Banhart; the pop-rock title track (Mature Themes) is easily my favorite on the album.  Don't miss Kinski Assassin either.  The A.V Club calls it "verbal Dada", but do not try to dissect the lyrics with the kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment