Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Last Summer By Eleanor Friedberger

Released: July 12.2011
Rating:  72.00

June is over.  It wasn't a great month in music for me.  I managed to pick up 5 releases and one of them was a compilation.  July looks even bleaker, musically (although it was a great month personally; I spent a week in Monterey with my wife and daughter.)  In any event, there were a few nice surprises, starting with this.

Eleanor Friedberger is better known as half of the brother/sister duo, The Fiery Furnaces from Oak Park, IL.  This is her first solo release and it's a real joy.  It's less frenetic than Fiery Furnaces, but just as much fun.  (Side note:  I got to see her perform live on August 19 at the Fox Theater in Oakland, where she opened for The Kills.)  I was absolutely blown away by Inn Of The Seventh Ray.  I also really like Heaven.  In fact, there's not a bad cut on the album.
I can't really compare her to anything (other than her own band with her brother.)  If you hear something else, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment