Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mayhem by Imelda May

Released:  July 19, 2011
Rating:  76.00

This is the best thing to happen in the US market this summer. 

Imelda May, from Dublin, Ireland, draws inspiration from Billy Holiday and American swing.  The album includes rockabilly, jazz, a little country and even a waltz. (I could have lived without the waltz).  The rockabilly and some of the jazz reminds me a lot of Gwen Stefani with No Doubt, but a lot of it is completely original.

There is so much here to check out.  My favorite is Psycho and this is the official video release.  She also does a fun cover of Soft Cell's Tainted Love and Let Me Out sounds sounds so much like No Doubt that I could picture Gwen Stefani doing it.  For a great example of her jazz arrangements, try Bury My Troubles.

This album joins a 4-way tie for my number 10 album of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment