Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Secret by Vieux Farka Toure

Released:  May 24, 2011
Rating:  71.67

I don't know that my opinion of each song does justice the amazing guitar work here.  The rating is probably indicative of my lack of understanding of the languages of Northern Africa and my predilection toward vocals.  In any event, it's a great album, worthy of every music fan's time.  My favorite song on the album is number 3, All The Same, which includes a vocal by Dave Matthews (somebody I really like live, but not so much in the studio.)  Another amazing example of the "Hendrix of the Sahara's" guitar work is Lakkal (Watch Out) with support from Eric Krasno of Soulive.

This is my first World Music album this year. Guitarist, Vieux Farka Toure (pronounced Vyooh - the "ooh" having the same vowel sound as "should" - Farka Too-ray) comes from Mali and is the second son of the late, great Malian guitarist Ali Farka Toure (winner of two Grammys for World Music).

No comments:

Post a Comment