Support the Music You Love!

If you hear something you like, buy it! We have to support the artists financially if we want them to keep producing great music.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Nine Types Of Light by TV On The Radio

Released: April 12, 2011
Rating:  77.14

This is my third album by the art-rock quintet from Brooklyn.  It's their fourth full length, and although they don't get too much mainstream attention, the critics are all over them: Metacritic.com recorded 39 separate major reviews and they scored an average 82 out of 100*.  That's incredible.  This is one of the cases where the reviewers and I pretty much agree. 

The thing is that sum of the parts does not do justice to the whole, so my usual scale does not reflect the albums brilliance.  It's a totally engaging mix of rock, electronica, punk, trip-hop, funk, soul and I don't know what all else.  Once I start listening, it's struggle to stop.

I don't care where your musical tastes lay, you really should check this out.  Here's a couple suggestions available on Youtube (just click the title for the link):  No Future Shock, which has hints of The Talking Heads; Will Do, which is a really beautiful love song with some awesome guitar work; or New Cannonball Blues.

Tragically TVOTR bassist, Gerrard Smith died of Lung Cancer about a week after the album was released.  Rest In Peace.  Smith was busking in a New York subway station in 2003 when he was recruited by TV On The Radio lead-singer Tunde Adebimpe.

* A word about music reviews: I find that when an album is trashed by most reviewers, I generally agree. However, when an album is universally praised, my experience is mixed.  By the way, I also tend to find the general population an unreliable source and so I never follow the charts.  However, in a quick check of Billboard, this album made a number 3 on the Top Modern Rock/Alternative Albums, a 5 on the Top Rock Albums and a 12 on the Billboard Top 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment